Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Casey in Quito

C-

Since Lara started in with her busy schedule with ¨the organization¨ we've been having quite different experiences, so we might try writing seperate entries.

I've started taking private Spanish lessons yesterday. Even after 1 day, I can tell they are really helping. I'm starting out with 2 hours / day and then spending the rest of the day studying Spanish and then reading all of the heavy medical books I brought down to keep me up to date. Despite having an unstructured schedule, I've managed to keep really busy. So far our schedule has been getting up around 6am. We try and run and then have breakfast, which consists of granola and yogurt, along with some NesCafe coffee (instant coffee). Then we take 2 different buses, each $0.25 and walk about 10 minutes to where World Teach is holding the training. I then go to a coffee shop and do my studying and reading until lunch when I meet back up with Lara. After lunch I have lessons until she gets off around 6:00 or 6:30. We then go home and have dinner with our host family and try and speak with them, then we get an hour or so to ourselves before bed. I found all 4 seasons of The Office (TV show) for Lara's B-day, so we've been watching a few episodes on our computer before going to sleep, with Spanish subtitles of course.

Both Lara and I are very excited about our "site visit" starting Thursday, where we will be traveling down to Jima for the weekend. I can't wait to check things out, especially the clinic and see if there are opportunities for me to volunteer. I'm also excited to check out Cuenca, as that seems to be my "back-up" as apparently there are many hospitals and even programs that I can take part in. I'll have a much better idea what the rest of the year will bring after this weekend.

As far as the altitude, it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. We ran for about 25 minutes this morning and I feel pretty good...no headaches or dizziness anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Casey: So good to hear what you are doing - we think about you everyday and wonder if you are able to accomplish what you went down there to do. Keep up the blog, as I am sure it is easier than sending out separate emails. We will be anxuous to hear about Jima - once you go there, will you be able to get mail, or will you have to go back to Quito for that? I was thinking I would put together a package for you guys, if you let me know what might be useful...i.e. soap, socks, peanut butter, top ramen??(just some thoughts) I would also like to send something special to your host family if you can think of something special that they might like. Take care, and lots of love...Mom