Friday, October 31, 2008

Panama Hat:


Just writing about this might get me into trouble with Lara as she is tired of me bugging her about the hats, but I figured you’ll see it in some pictures and it needs some explaining. The guide books we read prior to our visit to Ecuador kept talking about the Panama Hat or the fashionable straw hats worn by Al Capone and other more politically correct dignitaries, that are so misnamed and are actually from Ecuador. Once in Quito, I actually found a book at the English Bookstore called Panama Hat and for a mere $5 was able to borrow the book. The book traces the history and making of these hats and explains how the hats and those involved in their making, selling, and exporting have played roles in the shaping of Ecuador. For example one of the first major exporters actually bankrolled a civil war with the proceeds and the industry of making hats actually transformed Cuenca from a religious center to a wealthy city back in the day. Needless to say, because I’m such a big dork, I have been constantly bugging Lara about these hats. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for Lara who has a strong dislike for the hats, in Quito and Cuenca they are quite expensive. However, I was able to find a cheap, lesser quality version of a cowboy hat here in Jima and for $10 I couldn’t resist. It is actually a practical addition to our long hikes as it shades my entire head from the strong sun, unlike my American baseball cap, which leaves my ears and neck open to abuse from the sun. The $10 purchase is worth it just for chuckles I get from Lara every time she looks at me with it on!

No comments: